Monday, May 9, 2022

Instagram for 13 and under.......

In my opinion, I think that younger kids thirteen and under should not use social media apps at all. Social networking services really impact the mental health of individuals and can, in some sense, be a source that corrupts the mindset and innocence of a thirteen-year-old that uses it. However, technology is constantly evolving in today's time and it's almost pointless trying to shield newer generations from the internet when this is the type of world they are born into. What I can say is that at least with these newer versions of social media apps for younger kids, it is more guaranteed that they are genuinely age-appropriate and less likely that they'll gain depression, insecurities, and bullying out of it. 


    I do not think that there is any merit specifically in these newer apps. The concept of having a safe online space for children evidently sounds better than having an online space used by children and adults, but I feel like children should not have an online space at all. If anything, there should be more effort to prevent one rather than create one. These newer apps are essentially just exposing them to social media and the online world a lot faster than they need to be. 


    I did have social media apps before the age of 13 and looking back now, I do regret it. I wasn't really gaining anything from having them except that it was the ''cool'' thing in my grade and all my friends had their own accounts. 


    I definitely do not think that the regular version of these apps is fine for younger kids, and I wouldn't label it safe either. Generally, apps like Instagram are just social platforms used for people to connect with their friends and like each other's posts, but the way that some people use it is what makes it unsafe. It is very easy to use the app to spread misinformation, inappropriate content, hate speech against particular groups or people, and just general negative things. Regardless of who you follow or what type of stuff you like, these apps are not always kid-friendly, and it even becomes too much for people who are above the age restrictions. Not only that, but anyone who has internet has access to these apps. And there have been more than enough cases where minors end up in bad situations with their ''online friends'' who they thought were their age and who they said to be, but in reality, were grown adults preying on kids. 


    It is really important for social media apps to have age restrictions so that children can not only stay safe but truly enjoy their childhood. The online world includes a bit of maturity and makes you grow up a little faster, so I think that it is essential for kids to hold on to their childhood while they still can and enjoy the stages of their youth.  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Kendrick Is A Poet

       Rap is an abbreviation for rhythm and poetry and a popular music genre. Given that the ''p'' in rap stands for poetry...